Duddy$outh Underground Spotlight Podcast Show

Thursday, February 16, 2012

GRIND & SHINE FEATURED ARTIST: MR. SIK-SYDE aka "SIK"

Mr.Sik-Syde always had a knack for writing.Weather it be short stories or poems,has always had a way with words.He began his journey in the world of music at the age of 16, in Sandusky,Ohio.
"I remember hearing a song by Tupac and realizing that this is what I want to do with my life,I want to tell my story."
With money tight,and very limited resources,he began writing his lyrics over instrumentals used by already famous rap artists.Once he had written and recorded 8 songs,he made 100 copies and handed them out to friends,and they handed them out to their friends.The feedback was outstanding.

"Once I got my music out there,I knew this was just the begining,because so many people were asking me for more songs"
Then he began making his own beats and writing all original music.Late in 1998 he released his first full underground album entitled "Heaven Born ,Hell Raised"

After that album he met and recorded his second album with local rapper and producer C4.
The "My Time" album included songs such as "El Chingon" which is a song about the hardships of Mexican American immgrints.
"El Chingon was my first real song about real life issues,and I believe it really helped me grow as an Artist and as a person"


Now having the knowledge,creativity,and confidence to pursue this carrer,he set off again to record more music.But something happened. He fell into a deep state of depression and had to be admitted into a mental hospital.His state of depression lasted for some time,around 2 years." One day I just woke up,I mean really woke up.I seen things clearly for the first time in my life.One thing that I hated seeing was how these idiots out here we killing rap and hip hop.It used to be about the streets,about the struggle.These rappers that hit the mainstream were killing that,they turned rap into a commercial,they made it all about product placement,and that really pissed me off."

So he set off to make more music.
He wrote and recorded 28 new songs.Each one more real and better than the last.Only focusing on real life experiences,and true stories,he began telling about his life threw his music.When people heard it,they identified with his lyrics and experiences.


"I was doing it man.Workin in the studio everyday,allday.I didnt even sleep.Just writting and recording,and it really help me get out of my depression because I was letting that negativity out instead of locking it inside."

By 2008 he had written and recorded over 200 songs.All distributed locally in his hometown of Sandusky,Ohio.
But again,he fell victim to the depression he had been fighting since a young child.

"So I went back in.(mental hospital) , I tried not to think about anything,but I just couldnt deal with my issues,not even with the meds,I needed a break from life."

So he took that break.A three year break.But after awhile he began to miss his first love.The Music.
"After a few years of livin life,getting married,having kids,raising a family,saying goodbye to lots and friends and family,i figured I got some even realer stories to tell,i grew even more."

He picked up the mic yet again,and his heart poured out.Making songs like "I aint ready to go" and " I never made it" touched on some really personal issues about how he doesnt want to die never having givin his carrer a legitimate chance to blossom.


In his song entitled "So alone" hit talks about the hardships of a rough marrige and the pressures of raising a family.But not all his new songs were on a personal level. In "Back up Back up" he unleashes his raw rhyming ability,and direct witty punchlines.

This caught the ears of California rapper Jay Smokes.Jay Smokes and brother Manny Sluggz are co-owners of independent record label "Section 8 Society" out of Salinas ,California.

Manny Sluggz,producer/artist for the label, had an online rap contest lookin for new talent.Mr.Sik-Syde entered that contest.Althought he only got third place,this started a very important movement for the Ohio and California rappers.Three teamed up after a confrence call,and Sik became the newest member to the label.

Mr.Sik-Syde appears on several tracks produced by Manny Sluggz,including "Bringin Heat" ,the first collab from Manny,Sik,And Jay Smokes.Also appearing on the highly contreversial track "Rap Swaggots".Both tracks are available on the Manny Sluggz self titled album,"Manny Sluggz".

Now with Section 8 Society in the mix,Sik has stepped his rap game way up,and is becoming the artist he always strived to be.He is currently working on his album under the Section 8 Society label.
This album due out in early Febuary,2012, is titled "In My World"

Although it has been a rough journey for Mr.Sik-Syde thus far,his legacy is just begining,and we have not heard the last of this Ohio born rapper.


CHECK OUT THE MUSIC!!!!---> : www.reverbnation.com/mrsiksyde

No comments:

Post a Comment